Today I am sharing how I made my chalkboard moon over our buffet for our upcoming Halloween party. I saw a chalkboard moon on Pinterest but then when I clicked on it, it led me to a site that no longer existed. So I did a little more in depth chalkboard moon tutorial here.
If you read my last post, you already saw my finished chalkboard moon above our buffet.
My DIY chalkboard got a new home above my buffet this fall, just to try something different. I really like it there (for now)! I wanted to create some art on the chalkboard for our upcoming Halloween party and a moon paired with some plastic bats seemed perfect! Without further delay, here is a quick step-by-step chalkboard moon tutorial:
- Draw a circle. I just free handed mine (because I am lazy) but you could trace something or use a pencil with a string attached to a piece of chalk to help you draw a perfect circle. But I say just free hand it, perfection is for the birds!
- Draw a few smaller circles and other shapes which will be the “shadowy” areas.
- Color in the moon, minus the “shadowy” areas.
- Blend your scribbles with your finger.
- Add some more chalk to some areas to give you some varying shades of white within the moon. I did this by adding some star shapes to some areas.
- Blend these areas with your finger.
- Stand back and look at your moon and make sure that your “shadowy” areas don’t resemble anything inappropriate. Mine was a little borderline so I colored in some of the “shadowy” areas and blended it with my finger to get my final result.
I feel like a chalkboard is the perfect medium to create a moon. It was so easy! Let me know if you try one and how it turns out! My Halloween party decor post can be found here.